My name is Aditya Madupur, and I am a rising junior in the Dietrich School of Arts and Sciences and I am in the Fredrick Honors College at the University of Pittsburgh. I am majoring in neuroscience. I plan on applying to medical school and to become a physician. In my free time, I like to paint and swim. A fun fact about me is that I was born in Sydney, Australia.

This summer, I have the opportunity of participating in the SHURE-Grid program, offered by the honors college in partnership with Idaho National Laboratory (INL). In my group, there are four teams of students, each with their own role of modeling, technical, policy, and media disciplines, to study cyber attacks and analyze them through cyber-informed engineering (CIE) principles. CIE is about proactive cyber security measures in an era where digital technology is ever present. While more technology can make our lives easier, it also introduces vulnerabilities. CIE principles advocate for a comprehensive approach to cybersecurity, guiding considerations from the initial design and conceptual stages through to deployment and ongoing maintenance within the engineering lifecycle. This research is important even to a pre-medical student like myself because I am learning about the cyber vulnerabilities in every industry, which include hospitals and healthcare.
Currently, my professional goals include continuing my coursework so that I can try to graduate a semester or two early. I would like to have a gap year or gap semester before I apply to medical school. I am also studying for the MCAT right now and I plan on taking it in January. After I graduate, I will work at UPMC Magee-Womens Hospital as a Medical Assistant like I am currently doing. Additionally, I will be working at the Pitt Aging Institute as a Research Assistant. This fellowship is giving me an introduction into not just healthcare but research as a whole. I am learning a lot about the cyber-security risks in hospitals. For instance, IV bags have no password or security so a patient could change the amount of their dose or any other patients. It is important to address these issues to make hospitals safe and secure to work in. I am also learning how to conduct interviews and research, which are both skills that will help me at my research lab and in medical school and further beyond.
No comments:
Post a Comment